Presenting at UntitledTown
Q. How do I propose a festival event?
A. Each year in September, we open our Call for Pitches. Click here to access the electronic proposal form. Pitches are open NOW and close October 20.
Q. How long is the Call for Pitches open?
A. 30 days.
Q. What kinds of events can I propose?
A. All sorts of events. You can:
- Propose a literary reading, hip hop performance, or live storytelling event as an individual— or with a group.
- Pitch a session on the 2020 theme of Community: how writers form community, community activism and storytelling, workshops in prisons and refugee camps, writing to save the world, podcast fan clubs, fan fic networks, Wattpad writing, etc.
- Pitch a discussion, craft talk, or panel on a topic in publishing, editing, writing residencies, graduate school, or the writerly life.
- Pitch a self-contained panel (all panelists already chosen by the proposer) on a genre of writing, an issue in the book and storytelling world, or a common writing topic (grief, trauma, triumph, travel, food, adversity, romance, collaboration, horror, sports, true crime, mystery, etc.).
- Lead a writing workshop for adults, youth, or other group (veterans, poets, etc.).
- Lead a workshop in the book-arts, printmaking, interactive/digital storytelling, or bookmaking
- Propose a live taping of your story- or book-related podcast.
For more ideas, check out our Past Festivals page for the kinds of events we’ve featured!
Q. How do you select presenters from the Call for Pitches?
A. Our Programming Committee considers a number of factors, including:
- expertise or experience of presenter(s)
- clarity of the pitch
- the likely drawing power of the proposed event, based on past Festivals—OR, the ability to bring something new and different to the Festival
- the overall balance of different kinds of events for a range of ages, experience-levels, and audiences
Q. I submitted something to the Call for Pitches and was accepted. Will I be paid for presenting at UntitledTown?
A. As an all-volunteer organization relying on grants, donations, and sponsorships to keep our Festival free and inclusive, we cannot guarantee payment for authors who submit work through our Call for Pitches. However, we do offer all accepted presenters 1-2 authors-only food and drink events, discounted hotel rooms, and the ability to sell and sign their work on-site.
Q. How can I sell books at the Book Fair?
A. Information about the Book Fair will be available in January 2020. Check back on our Facebook page and this website for details.
Q. How can I buy books at Book Fair?
A. Information about vendors will be available in March 2020. Check back on our Facebook page and this website for details.